Physical Therapy Expert Forum
Os*bad* Schlatter

This is a place to get answers to your personal questions about how physical therapy can help you recover from injuries or lessen pain caused by chronic conditions such as arthritis.

Os*bad* Schlatter

hello Im a 16 year old. I am really devastated and anxious due to my condition. I want to continue with my activity but I also fear if my injuries are going to convert into chronic injuries if I didnt give up for a while. I played regular football uptil 4years and then we moved to this colder country. I also got a nice load of backpain just after 3months. 4months in home and then I started again like crazy. In 3 weeks I have been playing 5hours per day for 4days every week. The 1st day both my calfs tired out and calf muscles got pulled.In the 2nd week i started to have pain in my calf, again and just the next day it came onto my knee. Soon I discovered it was Osgood Schlatter (I wonder if my height will increas when OS ends since it occours during GROWTH spurts). The tension is that everywhere I read that it ends but my trainer says it doesnt and he has done more research and questioning than me. So is it true? I thought it continues in only 1% of cases. At the end of the third week, my thigh and my upper leg has also gone sore and tightened, (it now takes 12 whole steps to climb or get down the stairs), i am confused that what it is and what is behind this and is it really so serious that I am again to sit back and lìsten songs at home instead of sporting?. I dont want to cry later on. And i also dont want to take paracetamols and cause damage on a longterm. I need some loads of assistance.
Thankyou
Osgood Schlatter is primarily a result of overuse and stress on the tendon attached to your kneecap and shin from overuse.  At your age during growth and development it would be beneficial to cut down dramatically the amount of  practice and sports until symptoms subside.  Regular icing and gentle massage will help to decrease the inflammation and ease pain.  If the time is not taken now to help treat this injury it can persist later on in life.

Best in Health,
JAG