Physical Therapy Expert Forum
Sharp shooting pains in back of knee

This is a place to get answers to your personal questions about how physical therapy can help you recover from injuries or lessen pain caused by chronic conditions such as arthritis.

Sharp shooting pains in back of knee

Hi there. I am a 34 yr old Female. I am fit & healthy. Over the last 3 weeks I have been suffering excruciating shooting pains in the back of my knee. The pain just comes randomly & I cant seem to find any reason for this. Its like quick short electric shocks in the back of my knee that just usually last a few seconds. This happens several times a day. I can be walking or sitting down. The pain was so bad last night that it woke me up. The pain lasted about 30 seconds & I had to hold me leg tight as it was so painful. I have not yet been to the doctors as i feel they will just brush me off with no answers. I have no marks or swelling behind my knee, all seems well.
Due to the sporadic nature of your symptoms it would require a formal evaluation to properly diagnose the cause for your complaints.  Many times this can be a result of muscle tightness/spasm, a cyst or nerve irritation but again would require formal evaluation.  I would suggest seeing an orthopedist first before beginning any treatments.  If you would like me to refer you to a physician in your area please let me know the region in the US you reside and I will be happy to locate one for you.

Best in Health,
JAG