Physical Therapy Expert Forum
Si joint and ql pain

This is a place to get answers to your personal questions about how physical therapy can help you recover from injuries or lessen pain caused by chronic conditions such as arthritis.

Si joint and ql pain

Hello i am a 25 year old female ans have been suffering with right si joint pain for a year now. I went to a physio in march and she said i have a muscle imbalance on my right side and that's what is causing my si joint pain. My hip is held back in my right side due to the muscle imbalance. She gave me strengthening exercises and i am going to pilates now.
I have started to get pain in my left hip now which i have discovered is my left ql muscle. I have a huge knot in there and it is really tight.
My question is do you think my muscle imbalance has caused my left ql to knot up? Also whats the best way to get rid of the ql knot?
I sit all day at my desk so i dont think this helps me.
Thank you for your time.
Many times while working at a desk posture becomes an issue.  Individuals will tend to lean ever so slightly causing mechanical alignment abnormalities which contribute to muscle tightness causing the imbalance you mentioned.  If your "QL" muscle is truly tight on the left then strengthening the opposite side is important as well as stretching of the left "QL".  It would be best to consult with your physio regarding proper techniques to perform these exercises since demonstration is difficult on this forum.

Best in Health,
JAG
Thanks for your reply. I have been to see the physio and has given me stretches for my left ql. I am also to use the tennis ball to release the knot. This is slow and painful process.
I am still doing the exercises i was given for my si joint which has improved the imbalance. I do bridging, leg lifts while lying on my stomach and butt clenches.