Physical Therapy Expert Forum
The Ankle That Won't Heal

This is a place to get answers to your personal questions about how physical therapy can help you recover from injuries or lessen pain caused by chronic conditions such as arthritis.

The Ankle That Won't Heal

I sprained my ankle during the beginning of June, it is now Sept. 4th. I went to the doctor they took x-rays and said there were no broken bones or anything out of the ordinary and that I should be fine with an air splint ice and stretches. It was a pretty painful sprain nonetheless. My left foot bent inward farther than it should and I rolled on top of it as I fell backwards. I admit that I did not Ice as much as I should have, but I did wear the air splint and regularly walked to work, but for the most part I didn't do anything too strenuous.

As of right now it feels a thousand times better. I have no pain when I roll my ankle around in a circle making an "O" I can walk on it and I can even jump. However, when I extend my foot forward as far as possible or if I plant my heel on the ground at a 45 degree angle and push forward, the back of my ankle KILLS me, around the achilles area, I think and a little bit in the front.
Sometimes after a sprain the ankle will accumulate inflammation and fluid.  During the healing process this can cause scar tissue to form and can sometimes effect motion in certain directions.  Also, with disuse or if you favor an injured body part as a result of pain the injured part will get weak.  Weakness can result in an unstable joint which can effect the mechanics in that area.  As for the achilles pain, I would say that is from tightness in your calf muscle which needs to be stretched.  Strengthening your ankle with theraband exercises can be a good way to help stabilize the ankle along with balance activities.  For any further questions please feel free to comment.

Best in Health,

JAG