Physical Therapy Expert Forum
Walking hills to loosen up back

This is a place to get answers to your personal questions about how physical therapy can help you recover from injuries or lessen pain caused by chronic conditions such as arthritis.

Walking hills to loosen up back

Hi I have myofascial pain syndrome for two years, mostly the lower back is the problem in one trigger point.  I have a normal MRI, bone scan and hip XRay. Been to lots of doctors. I was injured twice by physical therpists. I was doing very well to start with until I bent and rehurt myself. Went to another PT and he injured me and I got on pain meds for the first time in my life. I got off of the meds, tried neurontin got off, tried muscle relaxers and NSIAD's, and those work short term and heat helps, tried accupunture, and biofeedback (accupunture didn't work much after about 20 vists) , just had a cortison injection and that didn't work, and now my integrative pain med doctor said try to walk hills (since I'm afraid to go back to another PT). I have trouble crossing my left leg over the right. I can do it but not far enough so that when I sit and I can't bend so I can't put pants or shoes or socks on. He said walking hills will loosen me up and I shouldn't try to keep crossing that leg as it causes pain to increase. I get lots of "tweeks" where if I turn a little the wrong way I will have more pain for about a week. These "tweeks" come randomly and are now about twice a month. I was told I have  oversensitived nerves. So, I want reassurance that not crossing the leg won't freeze it up if I'm walking hills. I walk a hour a day half of which are hills. I'm not sure how to get my life back. I have been doing dishes and wiping down the counters and can drive but was also told not to lift much. I have fear avoidance and don't know how to get past this.
1.will waking hills loosen me up enough to maybe cross that leg more?
2. Any suggestions on how to get over this hump? I am making walking progress and am now getting out to lunch.
3. If you nerves are oversensititzed will exercise eventually reverse this chronic pain switch?
thank you,
mkh9
  • ankle pain (1 replies):
    I was taking a shortcut to the fitness room in my apartm...[more]
Walking hills will loosen your back up but a protocol of stretching activities will assist in maintaing flexability.  I also suggest you research a good back physical therapist in your area who understands how to progress someone with your symptoms.  Best in health, JAG
Thanks I'll try. But I am afraid to go to another PT. When I first got injured the PT said I had a torn ligament and I got better after 6 months. With the recurrance, the other PT's thought I had SI joint dysfunction and I only got worse (alot worse). Now that I know it is muscular or myofascial, I need to work with that. They seem to work me too fast too.  I am still very weak (atrophied). I am walking about 1hour a day in the morning and doing about 40 minutes of hills. I am progressing and getting stronger but afraid to try to go back to stretching as I have more of these "tweeks" or strains when I did those. It is probably just the nerves signaling and not a real strain but it hurts and I have no pain control here.
mkh9