Physical Therapy Expert Forum
back pain after surgery

This is a place to get answers to your personal questions about how physical therapy can help you recover from injuries or lessen pain caused by chronic conditions such as arthritis.

back pain after surgery

I had a hysterectomy in 1983, & the following year I suddenly developed backache. I`d never had any problems with my back before. I put up with it for years until I finally decided that I`d had enough. I saw my gp who sent me to a physiotherapist, & he said it may well have been the way that my abdominal muscles had been cut that had caused them to become weak & my core muscles needed strengthening. He gave me some exercises to do, & theyv`e helped slightly, but not enough as I`m still getting pain when I walk. Is there anything that I can do to be rid of the pain completely, It does get me down at times.
To truly enhance core strength it takes diligence and progression of exercises to attain your goal.  Also the weakness in the core may only be contributing to the underlying cause of the low back pain and it may be beneficial to see a spine specialist to rule out boney changes in the lumbar spine before moving forward with exercises.  For a recommendation of a spine specialist please respond with the information regarding to the region your a located and I would be happy to do so.

Best in Health,

JAG