Physical Therapy Expert Forum
tennis elbow

This is a place to get answers to your personal questions about how physical therapy can help you recover from injuries or lessen pain caused by chronic conditions such as arthritis.

tennis elbow

In August after playing in a 3 day tennis tournament I developed a severe case of tennis elbow.  This surprised me because I was used to playing 3-5 times per week.  I stopped playing, iced arm and took aleve daily.  In October, after not much improvement, I got a Cortisone shot and did the daily recommended exercises.  It helped immediately but was short lived.  After 6 weeks the pain returned.  The pain is pretty severe and I have not done any physical activity.  I am in pain even when I am not using my arm at all.  

Should I get another Cortisone shot?  MRI to check for tear and possible surgery?  What is normal recovery time?  Not being able to play tennis is torture!  Thank you!  
Severe tennis elbow untreated properly can go on for months.  The cortisone masked the symptoms.,  I suggest a goos course of physical therpay which will decrease pain and inflammation in the muscle, increase flexability and increase strength.  As the progression of care moves forward you will see that return to full activity will be successful.  let me know your part of the country and I will recommend one of my colleagues.  Best in health, JAG