Physical Therapy Expert Forum
thumb pain-how long does it take to cure

This is a place to get answers to your personal questions about how physical therapy can help you recover from injuries or lessen pain caused by chronic conditions such as arthritis.

I fell about 2 months ago and stoped my fall by landing on my hands.  About a week later I experienced quite a bit of pain in my left thumb, it would bend on the half joint where the nail is and hurt like hell.  I had to snap it back to place. It seemed like trigger finger, but I do not have artheritis.   I could move it all around, it was not swollen or broken.  My Dr. looked at it and said it will be OK just give it time because I might of damaged the ligament.  So I bandaged it for a few hrs daily and gradually the pain lessened,  but my my thumb is kind of stiff.  I can't bend the joint that would bend on its own.  So I started to bend it with my other hand a few times per day just to keep it mobile.  I also wear a finger spint when I can, usually at night.  Am I doing the right thing.  I  have "chinese metal balls" which I could use as therapy but am afraid that I might damage the ligaments again, if I move the thumb too much.  The pain has subsided but not completely.  My thumb is stiff.but I work on it daily.  How long does it take to cure a painful thumb.
You sound like you are progressing very well.  It can take up to 6 weeks to decrease stiffness and pain.  If these symptoms persist I would see a hand specialist.  Best in health, JAG
Thank you so much for your kind reply.  Yes my thumb is slowly feeling much better.  It is a rather slow process, but I have it under control. Appreciale your reply.  Have a good day.