Physical Therapy Expert Forum
weak legs

This is a place to get answers to your personal questions about how physical therapy can help you recover from injuries or lessen pain caused by chronic conditions such as arthritis.

weak legs

In 1993 due to accident,I had massive slip disc resulting in paralysis below waist.I underwent spinal operation and I have considerably recovered.However I find it difficult to stand on toes.There is heaviness in my hips.I can not walk fast or run.My age is 73 and otherwise I am healthy and active.Can those defects be corrected by exercise and what exercises should be done to gain strength in ankle and calf muscles. Regards.
I do believe that exercise and strength training can help to improve your ability to perform those tasks.  However, due to the complexity of an injury such as yours I would not feel comfortable prescribing exercises without a formal evaluation to see what you could tolerate at this point as well as the number of repetitions and resistance that you could tolerate at this time to optimize your strength gains.  it would be my recommendation to discuss with your physician about receiving physical therapy for your lower extremity weakness and would be glad to recommend a facility in your region.  I apologize that this probably does not give you a quick answer to your question however with age and possibility of injury while performing exercises I would find it more beneficial to have supervision and a plan of care made for you by a licensed PT to oversee your progress.  This is something I cannot provide over the internet.  I would be happy to answer any other questions or concerns you may have.

Best in Health,
JAG