6 week old stopped Breathing
On Friday night I gave my 6 week old son some genitian violet to treat his thrush. The moment I out some in his mouth, he eyes went wide and he gasped and stopped breathing. I was absoletly frightened. My husband called 911 and I ran into the kitchen with my son and used a syringe to try and rinse some of the stuff from his mouth. I opened his airway and got instructions from 911 while we waited for the ambulance. After a few mins we were able to get him breathing. The doctor at emergency thinks he had something called "Diver's Response".
Has anyone heard of this or had this happen to thier child???
Divers response is supposedly a rare reaction that can occur if a infant thinks it is drowning or being poisioned. They stop breathing and shut down so they don't ingest anything. Sometimes they have troubles starting to breathe again.
I am soooo scared something like this could happen again.
Anybody have any experience with this???
Wow. I;ve never experienced this myself but thank God your child is ok!
I had this happen when I was puting some saline drops into my baby's nose....my baby is fine but foe the future if you are giving your baby medicine squeez it into baby's cheek and let it slowly drip into the back of the throat and if it's something that needs to be applied inside the mouth wrap a gauze around your finger dip it in a medicin and slowly rub all over
Thank you for your advise. I will remember that in the future. I don't want that to ever happen again.
Omg I would have freaked out... I give you props for at least being able to follow the operators instructions. I probably would have panicked and not been able to do anything including use a syringe.
I must say I was in panic mode. Thank goodness they are amazing at 911. He kepted me focused and tried to keep me calm. I was Definately in shock.  He to,d me what to do and what not to do. I thought it was anaphylactic shock and wanted to use my epipen. They told me not to! Just to remain calm and the ambulance was almost there.
I sure hope I never have to go thru anything like that again in my life!
Similar situation happened to my baby girl but with vitamin D drops. My husband gave her some and may have given too much, it went down the wrong tube. She couldn't catch a breath and was closing her eyes. I was shaking how scared I was. She was turning blue. I used one of her medicine drop syringe to try to clear her throat and have her some water and washed her face. I think it helped and by the time we got into the emergency room she was fine but very wore out. Let me tell you, what a scare.
My daughter has this everytime she breastfeeds. The dr says its a heightened divers reflex...its terrifying. I had to start pumping before she feeds so she doesn't get too much in at one time and that seems to help. It has made for a very long couple weeks though...she was born on june 17 and has been doing this daily. Supposedly its supposed to get better by 2 mos tho...