Playgroup: Babies 0-6 Months Community
Circumcision Question

WELCOME TO THE PLAYGROUP: BABIES 0-6 MONTHS COMMUNITY: This Playgroup is a support community where parents of babies 0-6 months old can discuss topics such as baby health, safety, developmental milestones, sleeping, feeding, crying, as well as social challenges and financial concerns. We invite you to relax, and stay awhile. It's your place to share advice and make new friends!

Circumcision Question

Not sure If this Is the appropriate forum to ask, but this Is my first baby. I just had my son circumcised today (gosh, I feel soooo guilty and awful on how the experience went!!!). The doctor put gauze on It and told me to leave the penis alone and to only clean the penis with warm water If poops gets on It and to take off the gauze after 24 hours and then start putting Vaseline on It every diaper change until It heals. Well, It's only been a few hours and when I was changing his diaper, he peed a tiny bit and starting screaming. So, I went online and was researching and I came across a few sites that was technically saying that you need to change the gauze and put Vaseline on It RIGHT AWAY after every diaper change for 48 hours then you don't need to do It anymore once the thin yellow film shows up. They never gave me any gauze (I have some gauze In a first aid kit If that works?) and like I stated above, they pretty much told me to not do anythin' until after 24 hours. But he seems like he's In pain and I already feel horrible enough. Plus, the gauze always comes off with the diaper when I change him (not sure If that's normal) and I have to gently put It back on then go back to cleanin' him. Would It be okay to put Vaseline on him right away and change the gauze? Or Is there a certain reason to wait after 24 hours that they didn't tell me about and keep the same gauze and put nothin' on It 'til tomorrow? I don't want to do anythin' wrong and I want It to heal correctly, but I don't want him In any more pain then he already Is and I feel like puttin' Vaseline on It will help with the pain. They told me everythin' went well and there wasn't any complications? I know I should listen to my doctor, and google Isn't a really good source to go to... but after researching and reading the Information I juss posted, I feel like I should be doin' more then juss leaving It alone 'til tomorrow? If you have a boy and circumcised him, what did your doctors tell you what to do? Please no bashing or rude remarks, I'm posting to get help, not to be judged. I'm sorry If this sounds like a stupid question, but I'm new to motherhood and want to do the best for my baby. Thank you.
Here's a link to info that may help.

http://www.whattoexpect.com/first-year/ask-heidi/newborn-circumcision-care.aspx.

I was just as freaked out with my son's circ. Good news is we both survived and you will too. If you get very worried take him in to doctor and have it checked. I did twice and my doc was very kind and said most moms bring them in a couple times to check it out.

Here's a link to info that may help.

Thank you so much! The first day was the worst and I decided to put Vaseline on It and he stopped fussing and went right to sleep. Now he's completely fine so It's defiantly a learning experience! Thanks for the advice. =-]
my son was circumcised the day he was discharged from the hospital, they gave us all we needed and told us to change the gauze with every diaper change. also if he gets poop on it wet a gauze on warm water and clean it. what really helped us is that we put alot and i mean alot of vaseline on his penis and the gauze so that it would act as a shield from the pee. good luck
My son is supposed to go in this thurs to get cir I feel bad but I believe its nessesary and this is really helpful to know my mom told me that it heals up pretty fast and then we don't have to worry about it any more. The vacaline and the gauze is really important the first few days she told me.
This is definately helpful since i just got my boy done today lol He is sleeping for the moment but when wakes up i can tell its not comforyable for him. For me the experience wasnt bad. He didnt cry t all but once we got home i could tell he was feeling it. My dr gave me gauze and told me to change it with every diaper change. He said to put the vaseline on the gauze and shield his penis with it. I have to give him tempra too. Im a little scared to change his diaper. I havent yet but i know its coming...its been almost an hour now.