Playgroup: Babies 0-6 Months Community
Home made baby food

WELCOME TO THE PLAYGROUP: BABIES 0-6 MONTHS COMMUNITY: This Playgroup is a support community where parents of babies 0-6 months old can discuss topics such as baby health, safety, developmental milestones, sleeping, feeding, crying, as well as social challenges and financial concerns. We invite you to relax, and stay awhile. It's your place to share advice and make new friends!

Home made baby food

Anyone here make their own baby food?

I made some sweet potatoes and used breastmilk to thin while pureeing. I froze in an ice cube tray and then put in a plastic bag in freezer. When I went to reheat in microwave to feed her I heated it for 20 seconds and it smelt like rotten milk. It was barely warm.

Oh yikes! I make my own baby food, however I just use water to think it while pureeing. I also freeze them in ice cube trays, and then I warm it up by boiling some hot water on the stove, and then letting the food in a bowl sit in the boiling water. I don't trust using microwaves because they apparently zap nutrients in the food, and can also cause heat spots.

I make yams, squash, and peas. I also feed my daughter mashed up avocado and bananas. And now that she is 5 months old I've started giving her tiny pieces of green beans to chew (she does actually chew them though, make sure that they do this and not just swallow it lol)
I haven't had anymore problems with this. Just the first time I did it.

I have also heard about the microwave zapping out nutrients. I only heat for 15 seconds on medium heat and it's barely warm. I stir it really well and I have the color changing spoons if it's to hot.  

So far she's had applesauce, pears, sweet potatoes, bananas, and green beans. She's not a huge fan of green beans yet. I have been meaning to try the avocado.  Next time I'm at the store I will have to pick one up.