Playgroup: Babies 6 Months - 1 Year Community
Please help! (9 months old - sleep issues)

WELCOME TO THE PLAYGROUP: BABIES 6 MONTHS -1 YEAR COMMUNITY: This Playgroup is a support community where parents of babies 6 months -1 year old can discuss topics such as baby health, safety, developmental milestones, sleeping, feeding, crying, as well as social challenges and financial concerns. We invite you to relax, and stay awhile. It's your place to share advice and make new friends!

Hello everyone,
I'm new here, and I know there must have been a tons of posts to the exact same issue that I am going through (and I promise, I am researching and trying to read them), but I just need some advice and support, so please help!
My son is 9 months old, big and tall baby :) He is breastfed (exclusively until 6 months), but now we added some formula and solids. We were not in a hurry with the solids, because he is gaining weight very well, and he did not show any interest in solids for a while.
But now the day with feeding (solids) goes like this: 9 am breakfast (yogurt, about 1/2 of a the container) plus 2 oz of formula, 1 pm lunch (either something from a jar, or something I make, but maybe about 50 g of food, maybe a little more, plus 2 oz of formula), 5 pm dinner (yogurt - the other half, or banana or something like this, plus 2 oz of formula). And before nighttime he gets about 4 oz of formula.
In the middle of those feedings I also breastfeed. So I don't think he is hungry, but on the other hand, he is a big baby. Maybe he needs more?
He usually takes 2 naps, but they are not exactly set in stone, because I work, and sometimes he won't sleep without me.
Anyways, the night is a problem: He sleeps in his room since he was 5 weeks. Up until 5 months or so he was sleeping through the night, but around 6 months we went to visit family, and slept in the same room. He started waking up every 2 hours. We came back home, and it continues... As soon as he hears my footsteps, he stops crying, but he "calls" every hour now.
The doctor said: SLEEP TRAINING! Don't go in there...
I am leaning towards going in there without picking him up, leaving, coming back in 5, 10 etc. minutes.
I need support :( I am not sure that this will work. He is such a reasonable baby during the day, I am feeling horrible about doing this to him, but I realize that it can only get worse from here...
Any comments, advice, links, anything?
P.S. He has 6 teeth already, but when the first 2 came out, he slept through the night
P.P.S. Sorry the post turned out that long... Thank you!
I would wait and see whether he self settles... go in after 5 - 10 mins of crying.. my 11 month old tends to whinge cause he wants to sleep next to me in which i tend to give in especially if i'm working the next day... otherwise is he waking cause he is hungry?? If i can get away with it i usually go in and pop his dummy in and out i go or i listen to see if he is awake or just calling in his sleep