Aggressive female rats
I have two rats. Both female and living in the same cage with seperate food, water and sleeping areas. I got the first rat in December 2008 and the second rat a month and a half ago. The new rat has been trying to hump the older rat. I know its a sign of dominance but what can we do to stop it? The younger rat attacks the older one while she's eating or just relaxing. She has become a little skiddish (normally she is very friendly and perky) since the younger one started humping her. We give them both equal attention and it still happens. What should I try?
I had a pair of female rats that I bought separately, just as you did. The one rat (Zoe) just never accepted Franny (the second rat) very well. At first she would nip her and chase her around. We had to keep them in separate cages. Even over time, Zoe was just very dominate and pushy. I don't think I'll ever do that again. If I get two rats, I'll get them at the same time, perhaps from the same litter.

Sad news, I just had to euthanize my Franny today. Zoe developed tumors last year and I had to put her down. Franny developed 2 large mammary tumors too and had stopped eating and drinking the past few days. It was time. Now I have no rats. Sigh.
I'm a rat owner of 3 rats (I've had 4 all together). For awhile Roxy, was playing dominant female to the young ones (which are not her own by the way). I was told as long as they're not biting each other that it's a form of dominance. But I've only read it online I can't be 100% sure. Roxy still can't deal with the fact she has two unruly 4 month old bratty rats in her cage wtih her but they get along. Try rubbing vanilla on both of them though it evens the playing ground so they both smell alike and it may stop for awhile.

Feel free to message me if you have any questions.