Pocket Pets & Small Animals Community
Aggressive rabbbit

This forum is for questions and support regarding your p ocket pets and other small pets!

Aggressive rabbbit

hey.
I took in a rabbit 1year and half ago because he was in bad condition, needed a home and by the look of him was mistreated. I was going to rehome him but he was aggressive to people so I didn't because I know they would put him down. I managed to stop him attacking by spending time with him and everything. But since a couple of weeks ago he started doing it again and hiding in the corner of the hutch. He is much a nice rabbit and I don't know why hes gone back to doing it again. I don't want to get rid of him because he is a healthy rabbit. Any advice?
It may be too late to socialize him. Another possibility is to have him neutered. Not sure how expensive that would be. It may or may not help.

If all you do is provide him a clean, quiet home and some gentle attention for the rest of his life, you will have done a good thing. The other option is to euthanize him. His behavior is not his fault. It's a tough decision.
I got him neutered because I have another male rabbit so was hoping for them to be in the same hutch but it was only 6months and then had to separate them. They both run around the garden happily togeher tho. Getting them both neutered did calm him down abit which was good.

I don't think hes that old either so will just try and get through to him again and hope for the best. I don't think I would be able to put him down because I know none of it is hes fault. I just hate seeing him like it.

Thanks :)

Does he cycle through "moods"?  Like at times he's cuddly and friendly the next he's agressive and charges/grunts at your feet? I have a 5ish year old male (neutered) rabbit. He is free roaming but chose a spot that is his. My rabbit cycles. Personally I believe animals have complex emotions just like humans.
Some of his issues may be from his earlier mistreatment but try and spend time with him. Sit on the floor with some treats he likes and just be quiet calm and cuddle. Don't force him to cuddle but allow him to come to you. His staying in a corner of his hutch may just be because it's comfortable and a safe place. Hope this helps!
Yeh thats what he does- he's lovely when he's being freindly. If the weather is ok then we let them roam around the garden because he seens happier then but he digs so someone has to keep an eye on him.
Yeh I normally get a carrot and let him eat it from my hand and just sit there intil he comes because he loves fresh food but i will do it everyday then it might get hes trust again. My other rabbit is a big softy never had a problem but i got him from 8weeks old so hes used to being handled and everything.
Thanks.