Pocket Pets & Small Animals Community
Baby Hamster Swollen Testicles, Sleeps A Lot
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding your p ocket pets and other small pets!

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Baby Hamster Swollen Testicles, Sleeps A Lot

I bought a hamster a few days ago.  Although I've owned hamsters before, never a male.  After some research I learned that males have very large testicles, but our hamster's seem abnormal.  His tail sits on top of his scrotum which seems to drag behind him.  He is a baby I'm assuming, but appears full grown.  He also sleeps A LOT.  Other than the kids playing with him, he never uses his wheel and rarely walks around.  I'll be honest, since we only bought him a few days ago, I'm not willing to pay for a large vet bill.  Should I return him to the store for another or wait it out?  Do these problems sound normal for baby male hamsters?  What are some of the possibilities?  Please advise...
Related Discussions
187666_tn?1331176945
I don't know much about hamsters since I've only had one in my life. I know rats have huge testicles (I call them rockets) and male mice seem to expand theirs when they're around females. Now you see them, now you don't.

But considering your hamster is very young as far as you know and he's lethargic, it might be a good idea to take him back to the store, ask them about it. If they act like they know nothing, you could ask for an exchange. It's hard to do once you have the little friend at home for a few days. Perhaps he has a hydrocele (fluid around the testicles). That would probably require a trip to the vet to fix it. Tough decision for you but think it over. If you choose to switch, watch the hamsters for a few minutes, make sure they look and act healthy.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Pocket Pets & Small Animals Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...