Pocket Pets & Small Animals Community
Boa

This forum is for questions and support regarding your p ocket pets and other small pets!

Boa

I have a 7 foot boa that has recently moved with me to Show Low, AZ which is a high altitude, colder, mountain area and has not taken the move well. My other two snakes (one also a boa) are fine but my biggest has become very lethargic and refuses to eat. The last meal he ate was almost two months ago and he regurgitated it shortly after. I have kept his tank as warm and moist as possible but he just doesnt seem to want to come around. Im not sure if I can give him medication or anything but your advice would be much appreciated.
Tags: lethargic
Usually regurgitation in an animal means he's sick (any animal) or he's not warm enough (in the case of a reptile). You've got the heat up so it may be time to take him in to be seen by a vet. I know they stop eating before shedding but not for 2 months. It doesn't take that long, at least not with the snakes I have had at work.
OK, so I spoke with a friend of mine who has boas at her home plus she's a vet tech. One thing she's done with her boas is to let them sit in some warm (tepid, not hot) running water about 1/2 inch deep. They seem to enjoy it, it warms them up and they lap up the water, If a snake is dehydrated they'll become lethargic. Has your snake gone to the bathroom recently? When she "waters" her snakes, it seems to move their bowels, they poo a lot and then are ready to eat again. If the warmth and water don't help, then yes, it's definitely time to go to the vet.