Pocket Pets & Small Animals Community
Cat attack on mouse

This forum is for questions and support regarding your p ocket pets and other small pets!

Cat attack on mouse

My daughter is raising mice for school and the family cat got into the room when she was cleaning the cage. The cat got the mice and puncture the skin by the ear. There is a gap and a little blood. What can we do to make sure the mouse is ok and it does not infected?
Just like any wound, wash it thoroughly. I do not recommend putting Neosporin or any other medication on there. The mouse is going to lick it off. Ideally the mouse should be on antibiotics but that's tricky because rodents don't tolerate many antibiotics very well. Plus getting the dosage right for a 25 gram mouse can be tricky. Only a vet should determine that. For now, keep an eye on the wound, make sure it's clean. Most likely the mouse will do some self grooming and will heal up just fine.