Pocket Pets & Small Animals Community
Fancy Rat Losing Hair ! Help

This forum is for questions and support regarding your p ocket pets and other small pets!

Fancy Rat Losing Hair ! Help

I have 2 female rats. but only one of them is losing her hair, she seems healthy otherwise. (still running, eating, and drinking as normal) . i never see her over clean herself. but i do notice that her sister has been cleaning her more than usual, but not in the spots that are balding..
she has also been given the same food as her sister yet her sister has not lost a bit of hair ...

help, i want my rattie to be happy and healthy.
Tags: rat, hair loss, hair lostalding, rat health
She could be having trouble with an allergic reaction to something that's not affecting her sister. So consider what she's eating, what type of bedding you're using.

Another thought is some kind of skin mite that is causing her to lose fur. Is she scratching herself a lot? Skin mites are irritating and will cause a lot of itching. If that's the case, then she'll have to go to a vet for a skin scraping and test so they can determine which medication to give her. Otherwise, it looks like it might be trial and error to decide what's causing hair loss if it's an allergic eczema.