Pocket Pets & Small Animals Community
Female Rat Aggression

This forum is for questions and support regarding your p ocket pets and other small pets!

Female Rat Aggression

I have two female rats that have been together since birth. We've noticed for about a couple of weeks our white rat Tinker has been very lethargic and is only energetic once outside the cage,while our grey and white rat Patches is energetic all the time.We've noticed Patches has some dominance issues and has peed on Tinker frequently and occasionally will lunge for her treat if she's been fed first. Today while I was at work my boyfriend called to tell me that Tinker was squeaking and was found with  Patches chewing on her ear.

We've had them for a couple of months now and I have no idea what to do, I would hope there's another answer other then separating them.

Thanks!
I wish there was. I've had quite a few rats over the years, usually 2 females at a time and only once did I have a situation like yours. Franny and Zoe were fine as youngsters but at some point Zoe got real bossy. Even towards me. When she was young I could carry her around, give her horsey rides around the living room but then she got cranky and would nip me. She loved my husband and would let him wrestle with her and tickle her tummy. It turned out that Franny became my rat and Zoe would only accept my husband. And yes, we did have to separate the two rats. They couldn't even be out running around together at the same time because Zoe would chase Franny and bite her. My current rat is very peaceful and gentle. Just like people, it looks like rats have their own individual personality.
Yeah unfortunately the situation got worse, I wound up having to take an emergency trip to the vet, patches decided to attack her this time leaving poor tinker with horrible wounds on her neck. So after her second check up tomorrow I'll be buying another cage and keeping them separate. I feel so bad that it got worse. I think in the future I might just want to keep one rat instead of the two, I'm a bit nervous about having a repeat of this.
I agree. I've only had one rat that turned out to be a stinker. All my other pairs were fine. But I'm keeping just one rat right now. It's easier and she's very cuddly.
Yeah patches is still quite affectionate but poor Tinker is on antibiotics for 3, we did find out she has a touch of pneumonia,so we have a nebulizer for her and have divided the cage to avoid any unnecessary conflict. :) Thank you so much for answering though, I really appreciate the feedback.