Pocket Pets & Small Animals Community
Hedgehogs

This forum is for questions and support regarding your p ocket pets and other small pets!

Hedgehogs

Does anyone in this forum know anything about hedgehogs?  I have a male named Simon that we rescued from a family whose daughter wasn't taking care of him.  Is there any way to tell how old he is?  The people we got him from didn't know how old he was when they bought him.  Are meal worms good for them?  Should I limit the number of worms that he eats?  Any ideas on how I can get him to eat more fruits and vegetables?  I love him so much.  He is hand tamed and almost never raises his quills with me.  Any information would be helpful
  • Fat Cat (3 replies):
    II have a 10 year old cat, that I've had since she was 8...[more]
  • Need a good Wormer (3 replies):
    I often get Drontal from the vet for the 3 cats and my d...[more]
  • dog worms (2 replies):
    my dog has just vomited and it was a clear liquid...ther...[more]
  • Worms doubts - (4 replies):
    Hi all Met some quite small white worms in one of my gi...[more]
  • Oranges (3 replies):
    I was wondering is it ok to feed dog oranges?, my chocol...[more]
I think hedgehogs are adorable but have never had one of my own. Mealworms are only as good as what you feed them. We use tens of thousands of mealworms at my job and we set up bins with wheat bran, wheat germ, oats and nutritional yeast for them to eat. Also add slices of carrot for moisture. Some folks use apple or potato but I read recently that those are not good choices due to some kind of fungal or bacterial growth. Wish I could find the article.

Anyway, there must be some decent books at the store or links online about how to care for a hedgehog. Poke around, do some research and have fun. I work with porcupines now and then but as cute as they are, I don't get to cuddle with them. LOL
I have the same problem with my female hedgie...i have no idea how old she is and I also rescued her. Take him to the vet and they may beable to estimate how old. Mel worms should not be used as food, only as a treat. dry cat food which is low in crude fat but high in protein, as for fruits and veggies, thoes should also be used as treats and not a normal meal, and some hedgehogs dont like fruit and veggies, mine doesnt shes is perfectly happy wth dry cat food. hope this helps, if you have any questions try looking up hedgehog care online.
There are also specific hedgehog food available now.  The brands I know of are 8 in 1 and sunseed.  Sunseed is a lot better because it is not completely chicken based, but has other seafood meals.  Hedgehogs are insectivores not carnivores so chicken based food isn't the best for them.  Cat food tends to be too high in fat or too low in protein for hedgehogs.  

Mealworms should be used about 2-3 times a week (3-5 worms at a time).  There should also be a calcium supplement added to their as well to make up for deficients in the mealworms and pellets (with vitamin D but phosphorus free).  

Cottage cheese can also be used as a treat, I have heard some people having succes with squeezing a bit of juice from the fruit on to meal worms to get the hedgehog use to the taste and slowly adding in bigger pieces.

Sorry, no idea how to guess at age.
never feed a hedgehog hedgehog food, I know that sounds silly but I have had a hedgehog for quite a long time. The store bought hedgehog food can limit their lifespan. They told me that at Hedgehog Central in the breeders section of the web page. We have almost had ours for three years now and he came from an abused environment. We feed him purina naturals cat food, that is what the breeders recommended me to use. It has everything he needs in it. He also eats white seedless grapes, seeded grapes won't be digested correctly. He does eat some popcorn as a treat but not all the time. Our hedgehog never really liked the cottage cheese but does eat meal worms when we have them but they tend to give him the runs. Also never give your hedgehog anything carbonated, it will kill them. The age is hard to determine, it can be based on size. I will say this if it leads a health stress free life in a environment that is 75 degrees or higher they can live up to 9ish years. Hibernation takes years off of their life every time they do it.

God Bless,

Dustin
hedgehog central is a great website that has EVERYTHING you would want to know. Hedgehogs dont in general eat alot of fruit adn veggies.. its more dry cat food mixes