Pocket Pets & Small Animals Community
Help! Sick hamster!

This forum is for questions and support regarding your p ocket pets and other small pets!

Help! Sick hamster!

Hello, I noticed my hamster was acting a bit strange yesterday afternoon. He is a dwarf hamster and I've had him for 4 months now without any problems. Yesterday I got him out because if he sleeps a lot in the day, he'll wake me up at night. Well, his eyes seemed sealed shut with sleep. I got a slightly damp tissue and dabbed his eyes until they cleared. That's not the problem anymore, he just seems very tired all the time. He sleeps non stop. I gave him carrots last night and he's eaten them.

I've narrowed my search to whats wrong with him down to 3 things:

Constipation, because usually when I have him out he'll go a few times and he hasn't, that I've noticed.

Allergies, because I got him new fluffy bedding, the Big Bag O'Fluff. The kind with green patches in it, which I've never given him the green, I've him the pink patched kind. I didn't think it's matter. And that's the only thing that has changed that I can tell.

Hibernation, because he just seems to what to sleep and sleep. I have him next to my vent in my room so he'll be warmer. I've read they'll come out of it, if it's warmer.

Please help me, I truly love his hamster and we plan to take him to the vet. From the symtoms (symptoms) he's had, do you think he's ok? Please, if anyone else has had this problem, contact me.
The thing that concerns me is his eyes being sealed shut. It could be an allergic reaction to the new bedding or it could be eye infection or something systemic. Between eye symptoms, lethargy and reduced food intake, I'd recommend taking him to the vet. I admit I've never had a hamster (just rats, mice and guinea pigs) but I've never heard of a rodent hibernating inside a home.