Pocket Pets & Small Animals Community
Injury due to falling

This forum is for questions and support regarding your p ocket pets and other small pets!

Injury due to falling

hello. I know that there are no definitive answers online and that I should get my darling seen by a professional. But it's Saturday and I can't afford the emergency fee, so I decided to wait until Monday. In the meantime, I could use an opinion from someone who is knowledgeable about injuries from falling. So, my rats are allowed to wander outside their cage when I'm around to watch them. They are great jumpers and climbers and I let them explore every day. today my rat, Timid, miscalculated and ended up landing on a remote on my entertainment center. I didn't witness her hitting the ground, since there was a chair obstructing my view, but she fell a good 3-3.5 feet. Within a minute or so, she had jumped on my bed and i noticed she was walking strange. It was as if she were stretching to lay down. So, my sister and i quickly looked up a rat medication guide and gave her a dose of ibuprofen, set her in her cage, and turned on the space heater so she would be comfortable. she's been using her back legs to scratch and walk. we felt for broken bones or something out of the ordinary, but the only thing that was out of the ordinary was her posture. she's even standing on her hind legs now in her cage as I type this. I am going to check on her periodically for any evidence of internal bleeding via blood in her urine or on her genitals. So far she seems ok. So, Im wondering if anyone out there could give me any opinions of what *could* be happening. Muscle trauma, soft tissue damage, possible contusions? If so, aside from a vet visit, how could i make her feel more comfortable?
Tags: injury, fell off table, muscle trauma, muscle contusion, soft tissue damage
Type of Animal
:  
rat
Age of Animal
:  
~1.5 years
Sex of Animal
:  
Female
Breed of Animal
:  
fancy hooded rat
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
November 24, 2012
City
:  
gainesville
State/Province
:  
florida
Country
:  
united states
I'm no expert, but I've looked up my fair share of research on rats. National Geographic released a study saying rats can survive a fall off of a 5-STORY BUILDING without injury! Cool huh?!

If she looked like she was stretching, she probably was. My sis and I both own a rat and they do that all the time. I'm sure she's fine. If you have concern, then visit a doc by all means! I just believe she's pretty good. We're actually having a problem with one of the rats right now. I hope your little girl is okay!!

I'd also reduce the amount of jumping as well. Mys sister's rat, Milo, actually jumped off a table earlier today, about a foot or so off the ground. He was perfectly fine, but that won't happen again, LOL!!