Pocket Pets & Small Animals Community
Is this Mange or a skin problem?
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding your p ocket pets and other small pets!

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Is this Mange or a skin problem?

8548832?1353833955
I bought a rabbit from a pet shop (shadow) a few week's ago.
He was very timid and didn't seem 100% healthy, I was happy to remove him from that pet store (re known for dying animal's) but he has become ill.
When I returned to the pet shop I noticed all the other rabbit's in his cage were removed and taken away I asked about this and about the health of certain animal's to which the owner replied it is the breeder's that bring the animals in and not him so it isn't his fault.
Shadow is losing patch's of hair and is not shedding, this is not normal. He has a white dandruff like substance alongside the patch's. Any idea's thanks
4 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
187666_tn?1331176945
This doesn't look like any mange episodes I've dealt with. Is the rabbit licking or chewing the area often? It almost looks self-inflicted. Perhaps the bunny has a nerve irritation and licks and chews because of pain.

It sounds like he's having other symptoms so I'd recommend a trip to the vet. Rabbits can go downhill pretty quickly in terms of health. Hope you get some answers soon.
Blank
4341400_tn?1353077183
No he isn't licking or chewing the area, he is just losing patch's of hair rather quickly and has a dandruff like substance around the outline.
Thank you
Blank
187666_tn?1331176945
Perhaps some kind of eczema then but cause unknown yet. Or alopecia which is a pretty random thing.

My bigger concern is that he seems to be acting ill. His fur will grow back but it would be a good idea to find out why he doesn't feel good.

The reason I asked if he was licking is because in the photo the fur looks wet and matted.
Blank
It's possible that it is seborrheic dermatitis or candida yeast.  Try getting some active manuka honey at least a +10 active.  Apply it to entire surface and cover with guaze soaked in aloe vera juice with a few drops of tea tree oil,3 drops of neem oil and 1 drop of Thyme oil. .It could also be a fungal dermatitis or some type of mite or parasite.  The manuka paste will kill any bacteria, fungus or parasite.  If you can get your hands on some pascalite clay you can mix that in as well and you should see results in a few days.  You can also dissolve 1/2tsp manuka in warm aloe vera juice (2cups) and add the tea tree Essential oil, 5 drops, thyme eo 2 drops and neem oil 5 drops then add a few drops of organic dish detergent to emulsify ingredients and mix well to make a antimicrobial, antifungal, anti-parasitic spray which can be sprayed directly on infected area and also on bedding and other areas the rabbit is in to keep it from getting reinfected.  If you have trouble finding these ingredients, I can make it for you.  I own and formulate a successful skincare line and this has worked for my ferret and many of my clients with dermatitis.  Let me know if you have any questions
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Pocket Pets & Small Animals Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Emotional Eating: What Your Closet ...