Pocket Pets & Small Animals Community
Its normal for a chinchila lose fur sometimes?

This forum is for questions and support regarding your p ocket pets and other small pets!

My cousin now has one and she asked me to search about.
Its summertime in my country by now, with some hot days.
Any helpful tip about the animal will be also welcomed
Tks in advance.
It is not unusual to see a stressed chinchilla with patches of fur missing from their body.  This is an escape mechanism built into these helpless critters.  

When a predator grabs hold of their fur, the chinchilla can shed and release their fur so that they can escape.  Unfortunately, this escape ability also happens if a chinchilla gets stressed and you happen to either tug or pet the chinchilla.

This can happen with a newly obtained pet that isn’t used to you or not familiar with being handled yet.  It is frustrating but other than looking a bit patchy; this is normal behavior for a scared chinchilla.  The fur that was shed due to stress will grow back.  

However, if the fur loss is due to parasites or other illness, you will need to seek out veterinary care.  There should be no redness or irritation in the area of the hair loss.  There should be no crusts or debris in the area either.  If you see that your chinchilla is really itchy where they lost their hair, I would highly recommend that you seek out professional care with either a veterinarian or a chinchilla breeder.  They can access whether your chinchilla needs medications to help them get better.

Please make sure they have access to a chinchilla dust bath as well.  They need to roll around in this dust to maintain a healthy coat.  You will need to sift thru and take out their droppings and replace the whole thing if the dust becomes dirty or soiled.

Good luck,
Dr Youkey
Thank you, I will pass the info to my cousin.Since its a new pet, probably its only stress...