Pocket Pets & Small Animals Community
My Rat Eat's all of his food in one night and marks alot

This forum is for questions and support regarding your p ocket pets and other small pets!

I have 2 rats they are brothers i have i put them into 2 seprate cages and the one rat i have hudson is very muscluar, i mean i went to feed him the other night because i askes the vet she told me to watch to see how much he eats his bowl is a good size one. He ate it with in one night i also notice if he dose come out to play he marks evrthing he goes by. His brother Roo is very diffrent smaller in muscle size his fur is soft like a baby rat he sorta looks like a girl rat by the fur and his face but i know hes not. The main concern is why my rat hudson is eating alot and marking everthing. Is it Behavior , health, maybe i should wait a while im not sure the vet said nothing is wrong but he is the 3rd rat i had i have never had one like this before im just worried. thanks.
I've never had male rats, only females. This is just a guess: in most animal species if there are 2 males around, one will be dominant and the other will not. His marking constantly may be his way of spreading his scent around to show he's the boss in the area.

As for his overeating, that may be normal for him or he may have a thyroid problem. In any case, if he's not obese and he's active and doing well, I wouldn't worry about it too much. You may prefer to give him smaller amounts of food 3 times a day so he doesn't sit around with an empty dish all day. That way he'll get the same amount but not feel hungry.

The smaller rat may just be smaller, just as people come in different sizes. I had 2 females, one was larger and bossy and more aggressive, the other was smaller and loved to be cuddled.