Pocket Pets & Small Animals Community
My ferret has 2 small bumps on his skin

This forum is for questions and support regarding your p ocket pets and other small pets!

My ferret has 2 small bumps on his skin

I have a male ferret approx 4 yrs old. Healthy - always.  He is eating well, not excessively thirsty,  playing, same behavior and temperment.  Going to the bathroom normally. Problem - and it is making me very worried.  A few months ago - 4 to 6 - he developed a bump on his skin - around his right shoulder. At first I thought it was a bug bite or a spot  of dry skin that he scratched too hard - but it grew and  turned into what looks like a small cyst or pimple - pink in color, and when he scratches it, it weeps - bleeds a little, scabs over, and is still there.  Now, he has a 2nd bump, on the same side- right,  near his whiskers but below his ear. Started and ended the exact same way - he keeps scratching at them both - I hate to see him suffer - and I am also worried that there is something seriously wrong with him. Are these bumps common in ferrets?  Do ferrets get cancer? What should I do?
Tags: ferrets
Wish I could help. My Mom's dog has a couple of those type bumps. If he rubs at one or scratches at it, it will bleed a bit and scab over. On a white dog it's kind of ugly. The vet said they were just benign little growths.

In a ferret, I don't know. It would give you greater peace of mind if a vet checked them and said they were common. I'm encouraged that his overall health seems to still be normal. But 2 bumps growing in a matter of a few months - it would be better to be sure. Perhaps they can remove them. Especially since the bumps irritate your little friend.
Thank you for the kind words, and the benefit of your experience.  It is awful to worry about our animal friends - this feeling of helplessness does not help, either.  I read everything I could find on the internet about lesions, cycts, etc on ferrets.  Every item leads back to having him checked by a vet - so obviously, that is what I will do.  I found an "exotic pet vet" in my area that is "willing to work with me" and I hope and pray for the best.  We all can't stand seeing our animal family member suffer - thanfullly, my ferret is still acting normally - but 2 bumps is not at all normal.  I will let you know how it turns out after we see the vet.  Thank you again.
I've never had a ferret at home. I have a friend that has 2 at her place. She absolutely adores them. I wish I could have helped more but I don't have the answers. Let's hope the vet just says they're little cysts that can be zapped and removed. That would be good.

irene
That would be marvelous!  Actually, the vet that I am bringing him to just called me a short while ago- they sound optimistic- again, my ferret is not acting sick at all - but the itchy/scratching situation he's in - I fell SO bad for him.  I have an appt for next Tuesday - very affordable for me, and they are going to help with transportation , too.  SO, I am trying to keep my ferret as heppy and comfortable as possible - we all do that with our animal family any way - but you know what I mean.  My little guy is probably tired of me hovering.  The heat where I live is also very dry,so I am doing everything I can to alleviate all dryness - I have to try something - everything I can think of.  It just started snowing here in Boston so I guess it is a good time to just snuggle up with him and get some rest - since I found the 2nd little lump I have been - what is called, a wreck??

Thank you again for your support. It means the world to me right now.  I will certainly let you know the outcome - and I will Post this enitre experience so others can perhpas benefit from this nightmare - from what I have read, certain skin "growths" are common in male ferrets - particularly over the age of 4
Ah, you're caught in that nasty winter storm then. Do snuggle and stay warm. I'm glad you found a vet to help out. I guess getting older isn't easy for anyone or any pet. People get weird little growths too called skin tags. Dogs get those warty things. And now it seems ferrets get their lumps and bumps. Hope you get lots of good news next week.
My girl ferret has had a bump like that for about 2 yrs now. She use to scratch it and it would bleed scab over then just look like a cyst thingy again. Hers is right by her lil ear. She has stopped scratching it for the past year. And really has been fine and dandy. I took her to the vet awhile ago and they never mentioned anything to me about it so i never really was that worried. Just figured it was a growth or wart or something of the matter. Let me kow how your ferret vet trip went maybe i should actaully go in again and get it checked out!
I just thought I would tell you I had a ferret that had a bump above his ear and he would itch it until it would bleed I would clean it out and it would heal and be fine for a little while and Spunky would go right back at it.  I brought him to the vet and the vet explained to me that it was mostly likely a tumor and was irratating him.  I went to get a second opinion and after I brought Spunky home he went down hill.  The first vet dislodged a kidney stone (is the best way I can discribe it) and Spunky could no long go to the bathroom.  I went to the second vet and she told me that the tumor was the least of our troubles.  She wasn't experience in what needed to be done so I did the only thing I could I let them put my ferret to sleep.  So I just wanted to warn you.  I hope I am wrong.  I never made it treating the tumor so it could be completely normal thing and he could be completely fine.  Ferrets are know for a number of diseases including cancer and a number of other health issues like Kidney stones.  I hope your fuzzy is fine and good luck!
That is a tragic story and I thank you for sharing the benefit of your experience - it must have been painful for you to bring up.  It sounds like neither vet really helped you??  it is hard to interpret.  I have an appointment scheduled with an "exotic pet vet" who is VERY experienced with ferrets - I won't just bring him to a regular vet. Our first appt. got snowed out - nothing I could do. The 1st of his 2 bumps is gone - he scratched till it "popped" and scabbed over - he is now doing the same to the 2nd bump - which is almost gone. I have read averything I could get my hands - and eyes - on regarding ferret diseases - from ferret specialists and pathologists, Till vet day - all I can do is try to alleviate the itching- except for the "bumps" there is absolutely NOTHING on his skin, I believe because his body is still releasing histamines, he will continue to scratch.   He acts perfectly happy and healthy otherwise.  
My Scouttie is a wonderful ferret she is going on 4 years and I have noticed these red bleeding "zit-like" bumps, which seem to have something hard underneath. Reading online these are normal for ferrets and part of their aging process, still I was not convinced.

I figured it was maybe some bug so I did the ear mite trick and tried to drown it in mineral oil. I put some mineral oil doses over the "zit thing with a few small red dots around it (like a button)" a few times over a period of an hour. Days later and I know better, but decided to swab the area with rubbing alcohol and I gave it a firm squeeze with my finger tips (not finger nails!) and it "popped". NICE! I used some hydrogen peroxide on it right away and it foamed and now it is nothing but a flat scab. GREAT! Don't forget to apply hydrogen peroxide right after as it seems to foam it and dry it up fast and kills any (if any that is) bacteria that comes out of it. You don't want whatever it is to spread after all.

Good luck, I had some.

Traer
how often do you guys bath your ferrets? mine has the same bumps as your and i'm really worried.
HI i have had a total of 8 feretts in the last 6 years.I still have 1.she is about6-7 years old and within the last month i noticed a small bump on her front paw.It seems to be growing fast.I am going to call my vet and ask her about it tomorrow.none of my other ones ever had one.did you ever take your to a vet since this was posted in Jan. Just wondering if you did what did they say?I do know Feretts are know for getting cancer.3 different types of cancer. some of mine did i took care of them the best i could and then put them down so they wouldn't suffer.Most do not live past 5-6 years old due to that .
mine has black or white things that kinda look like a tick and when i pick them out its all red and it has a big bump. mine has like 6 of them i pick all of them out. hope im not hurting it
I'm a 13-year-old girl, and I'm scared for my ferret. My ferret, Hatty Mae, is about 4 or so and one day I noticed a scab on her back. I put medicine on it and the scabbing seemed to clear up, but not the bump. I kept an eye on it and all it did was stay, and never went away. Today I left the house for a few hours or so, and when I came back the bleeding and scabbing was terrible. She must have been scratching at it when I was gone because it's a huge scab. It's the worst it has been in a few weeks. I wanted to take her to the vet about two weeks ago because of this bump, but my mom said it was nothing to worry about. I tried to tell her that this doesn't happen to ferret and it's not normal, but she declined. Now I regret not taking it into my own hands, but I'm still hoping she'll be fine, and I'll force my parents to take her to the vet tomorrow. I'm scared she'll loose to much blood. Is that a possibility? I wish I could post a picture somehow, but Im unfamilliar with this site so I dont know if I can.