Pocket Pets & Small Animals Community
My guinea pig is acting weird...
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding your p ocket pets and other small pets!

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

My guinea pig is acting weird...

I just bought him from a pet store and he stands really still whenever the door to my room opens and if i try to pet him he runs to the other side of the cage. He may have not been very socialized and if that is the problem I wouldn't know how to socialize him and someone suggested that he may be undernourished.
Related Discussions
8 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
121828_tn?1333468091
Does he have a house? I just acquired one on Christmas, ugh... but she loves her house and feels very safe there. I have a good size cage too. How often do you clean the cage, this thing poops allll the time. I bought a litter box but I doubt she'll ever use it!
Blank
They will get over this behavior with socialization. They need to be held and petted for about 1/2 hour or more a day.  Also, guinea pigs are very social animals. They always do better with a friend. Guinea pigs kept by themselves are typically not that happy.
Ive raised guinea pigs since 1992, and currently have 5 of them!
Blank
your guinea pig is just getting used to its suroundings. I used to only have one guinea pig she was shy and did'nt eat mutch until i made her a little hide away which i used to put her food in. It helps giving them attention though. Now i have two of the little things.
Blank
209384_tn?1231171906
Guinea pigs also don't have the best eye sight, so if you move down to quickly or quietly it scares them really bad.  Eventually it will get used to you and will squeal with delight when it smells you.  They are so funny about that.  You can also make really fast friends with them by hand feeding them really good treats like strawberries or carrots.
Blank
My guinea pig who is a male and a year old has recently started peeing on himself.  Does anyone know why that would happen?  We let him out every day and pay attention to him.  We clean the cage twice a week.  He is not a socialized guinea pig and when we bought him the store employees said he had to be separated because he doesn't like other male guinea pigs.  Is this behavioral or could it be a physiological problem.  Do we have to get a female guinea pig for him to be happy?
Blank
187666_tn?1331176945
Is he wetting himself or just marking places? Usually an animal that is peeing on their own fur has some kind of bladder infection or irritation. They don't have good control and so they leak. I'd recommend having him checked by a vet.
Blank
Thanks for the info.  He seems to have pretty much stopped but if it continues I will take him to a vet.
Blank
Give him time.  You have placed him in a whole new world.  And yes, give him something to hide in.  It will take him a few days before he feels safe enough to come out.  Guinea pigs are prey animals, and will always have a fear of things that move quickly, and of being caught.  One you catch them, and they feel secure, they will settle down.  And yes, it would be best for him to have a companion of the same sex.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Pocket Pets & Small Animals Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Control Emotional Eating with this ...