Pocket Pets & Small Animals Community
My rats loosing hair

This forum is for questions and support regarding your p ocket pets and other small pets!

My rats loosing hair

2556290?1203900400
I have two male rats. Their between a year nd a half to two years old and they are loosing hair. This happened before and we assumed it was mites and I've checked them again but don't see any. They dont have any comletely bare spots yet but you can clearly see the pink of their skin through the gaps. I also can see dark patches in their skin. I really have no idea what that means. I have added a picture of it. I'm afraid it isn't exactly clear, its hard to take a photo of an animal digging needly sharp claws in you. =). I'm not sure what to do for them and taking them to a vet isn't really an option. Thier both so sweet and I'm worried that their uncomfortable. Do you have any suggestions?
Wow...I'm having the EXACT same problem! I also have two males. One looks exactly like yours in the picture. Hes an all black dumbo rat and the other is a black and white fancy rat. They both have thinning hair, the black one is worse. They're missing patches as well..I really don't want to take them to a vet either.. I think my rats actually worse then yours. What kind of bedding do you use? And what food? Maybe we can come up with something we use in common that maybe is causing it. I posted this on the doctors forum and she said that it could be mange...but I really don't want to go to the vet with rats..
If you can't afford the vet then you can't afford the pet.  Its disgusting to hear that you'd rather let your animals suffer than take them to the vet.  There are such things as small animal vets that specialize in rodents.
i have 2 rex rats and one is having the same problem...im thinking about taking him to the vet if it doesnt get better....he is a baby so it may be stress of moving in with new people....i have alot of knowlage of animals and i can give you a few options...1. if you have re-aranged your area that your rats play in it sometimes has effects on the rats stress levels. 2. if you have taken a vacation, or moved to a different house with your rats it also may trigger their stress levels. 3. the bedding and food brand can always make a difference. 4. bringing new people or pets into the house may create rivalry between the new member and your pet. and also if your rats skin has scabs he may have parasetic bacterial infection, if your rat has an oozing liquid he may also have a bacterial infection....there are multiple other reasons that are very rare witch include cancer...but with your rats age and good health is very very slim its actualy only an 86% possability.

please email me if you have any other questions or answers! thanks!!
***@****
i have 5 females and they are all loosing hair i'm worried for there health because they mean alot to me. They've all had one liter of babies bar 1 and i use wood shavings and they have a large variety of foods.My boys haven't lost any hair so what do i do can i stop it.
rat answer , me again i think it could just be from the heat because they lick them selvesto keep cool.
Are the males separate from the females? I assume they are since you've only had one litter of babies. Usually they keep going one after another.

If it's just one cage (females) losing fur, perhaps they've picked up some mites somewhere. All that grooming could be due to itching - either from mites or something is wrong with the bedding. I use pine shavings but not cedar. I've read that cedar contains the aromatic oils which we enjoy but can be irritating to the animal in some cases.

You may need to take your girls in for skin scrapings (not as bad as it sounds) to see what's going on.
Right, mites are a likely cause.  It could also be dietary as rats can lose fur due to a missing vitamin, it's pretty common.

Check out a site called ratfanclub.  There is a detailed description of a diet that is excellent and healthy, no matter what is causing the fur loss, but there's a good chance it'll help with that, if the condtion isn't caused by a parasite or an allergy.

Jram- If you cant say anything nice then just STFU... Not everyone is as financially well off as you- and Vets who specialize in small animals aren't any cheaper than dog or cat vets nor are they any less unscrupulous when it comes to overcharging for unnecessary tests. Not everyone can afford a few hundred bucks to diagnose their pet and hair loss is not exactly suffering is it? With the millions of rats in the US who are killed for scientific testing and for snake food I'm sure that the year or two of love and affection enjoyed by this guy's pet rats greatly outweighs some minor discomfort caused by not taking them to a vet. You make me sick, and I notice you didn't offer to help pay for the vet bill either!
  Shut the heck up...you to not know these peoples situation...they could be like myself and off on workers comp and lost my job because they couldnt hold it. I was making 24.00 and hour before that...then your broke through no fault of your own, you love your animals that you had BEFORE something happened.
   They both want to help their pets...just asking for advice to try before having to spend money on an expensice vet if they do not have to...neither said they wouldnt and would just let their pets suffer. Get over yourself!