Pocket Pets & Small Animals Community
Pig Lice

This forum is for questions and support regarding your p ocket pets and other small pets!

Pig Lice

I just got a 5 week old baby pig, it is a doroc breed.  It is the runt of the litter.  I see that it has some little bugs on it that I have researched as lice.  What can I do to get rid of these and is there anything specific I need to do to help this little one out.  It seems very healthy and loving.  I just want to be a good pig mom
Tags: lice
Avatar n tn
also I am wondering can these lice be transfered to humans?
I checked in my Merck manual and it seems lice are mostly host specific. So you're not likely to be over run with hog lice. I see bird lice at work often and although they may crawl up my arms, they don't live long on me. A simple shower does the trick.

As for treatment, there are treatments available but check with your vet to find out what's legal in your state and what would be suitable for a baby pig. Not all meds are safe for young animals.