Pocket Pets & Small Animals Community
Rabbit lipoma

This forum is for questions and support regarding your p ocket pets and other small pets!

Rabbit lipoma

I took my rabbit to the vets when I found a lump in her abdomen. He said that it is likely to be a lipoma as it isn't attached to anything, she does not experience pain when the lump is attached and the skin remains intact. The lump is about 1.5cm in size. Physically she is fine and eating well.

I am a bit confused with what the vet has said, initially he said that the lump should be removed just in case it was not benign. I told him that I do not want her to have an op unless it is strictly necessary. He said he could do a biopsy but then said that the biopsy would not show anything as when they are preapring the slide alcohol is used and this dissolves the fat. We agreed to watch and wait.

My rabbit is extremely nervous and gets very stressed when she goes to the vet so I am reluctant to take her again unless strictly necessary. I am unsure what to do, should I try and get a second opinion and also can this lipoma turn cancerous? Is there a chance that the lipoma will go by itself?

Many thanks.
Type of Animal
:  
rabbit
Age of Animal
:  
4 years
Sex of Animal
:  
Female
Breed of Animal
:  
Netherland dwart
Last date your pet was examined by a vet?
:  
January 22, 2012
Country
: