Rabbit lost an eye
I have been out of town and returned to find one of my rabbits is missing her eye.  When it is 'open' there is a white membrane looking thing.  There is no swelling or draining of any liquid.  She is socializing, eating and laying around as usual.  She is hard to catch and I am wondering if I should catch her and bring her to the vet or let nature take its course?  Many thanks
I would always opt on the side of safety and bring your rabbit in for a checkup.  I wouldn’t want your rabbit to suffer any complications from losing her eye such as bacterial infections that you can’t yet see.  Your veterinarian can determine if your rabbit is running a fever or is in need of any pain medications.  Not to mention cleaning the eye up to prevent future infections should there still be tissue in there that needs to be removed.  You can call around to compare examination fees if cost is an issue to you.

I know that in the past (when I was still a student) I hesitated bringing my hurt pets in to see a veterinarian.  It’s not that I didn’t care about my pets.  It’s just that my budget was beyond tight.  But that was the incorrect reasoning as ultimately I still live with the guilt of losing my pet over money excuses.  I will never forgive myself and wouldn’t wish this guilt upon anyone.

Good luck!

Dr. Youkey