Pocket Pets & Small Animals Community
Rabbit question.

This forum is for questions and support regarding your p ocket pets and other small pets!

Rabbit question.

Hi. Thank you for being here! Such a relief. I have a two fold problem;

1) My 6mth old rabbits, which are outside all day and come in at night, have started eating the wall paper.They both seem to be in good health, glossy coats and good appetites. They also get a lot of attention from us. Any ideas why?

2) My sisters has taken two of our rabbits, ( a litter of 4.) All seemed to go well except now one of them is tearing fur from the other one and eating all her food. Both are female and 6mths. As a tempary solution, we are taking the stronger one back for a few weeks.Any ideas what is wrong and how we might sort this out?
I am most grateful for your help,Cath278.
I've had pet rabbits and have a little experience but not sure I have the right answers.

My rabbits would gnaw on just about anything. They have this need to chew. It helps keep their teeth worn down. Overgrown teeth are not only ugly but dangerous to their health. Not sure what you have available in the cage for them besides food but look into some things that would be safe for them to gnaw on.

Bunnies have personalities just like us. Some are more dominant. Of my two females (a dwarf and a lop), the dwarf bunny was very aggressive and dominant. She decided the lop was her baby and would boss her around and wouldn't let us near her. But if the one is injuring the other, they just won't be able to be together. Try a different combination of bunnies.
Hi ireneo and thank you for the quick reply.
My two rabbits have the free run of our garden ( we have made it safe) an they sleep in a large shed at night. I dont like them being locked up and have the luxery of a lot of space.I thought about what you said and i think it may be down to the adverse weather conditions here in Ireland. It has been below frezzing for a few weeks now and the grass and ground are rock hard.We have set up a tempory inclosure indoors for them till it warms up again. I forgot that they didnt have anything to chew! Very remiss of me. And I will take care of it right away.
Also, the sad news that the two fighting bunnies are not going to get on. When I had them,( they were born with me and stayed tilll they were 4 mths old) alll four got on very well. No problems.
Even being sisters wont work?

Thanks so much for advice. I never thought I would be so crazy about rabbits but they are so lovely. Do you have rabbits any more? Thanks again, Cath278.
It sounds like you have a wonderful playground for them. Much better than being cooped up in a cage all the time. My bunnies were in a cage but we also let them roam the house. The bossy bunny enjoyed stretching out on the couch when we watched TV. If we tried to put her on the floor, she would grumble at us and lunge/push with her front feet. No, we don't have rabbits any more. I do wildlife rehabilitation now and that can take quite a bit of space and time. Winter is quiet for me but Spring and Summer is hectic. That's OK. I enjoy the work.

irene