Rat food
I have a rat who is close to a year old and is really small. I feed her often but she doesn't seem to be gaining any weight. Does anyone know of a good diet for female rats? Either store bought or homemade.
I buy a rat food mix from the pet store that has all kinds of whole grains, seeds and manufactured pellet things. I also give her fresh veggies, some fruit. She even enjoys greens. There is lab chow but I'm not real fond of that. I toss in a couple just so she has something hard to chew on.
At college, the best long-lasting food to give them is a loaf of stale, crusty bread.
This gives them carbs, something to chew on and some fun as they make tunnels in a loaf of bread!
But yes, greens and even hay can work well too
The bread may be long lasting but it's far from being proper nutrition. Rats need a better balance of food than that. It's like feeding bread to ducks: they'll eat it, they'll feel full and if they do this long enough, they'll starve to death.