Pocket Pets & Small Animals Community
Rat food
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding your p ocket pets and other small pets!

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Rat food

I have a rat who is close to a year old and is really small. I feed her often but she doesn't seem to be gaining any weight. Does anyone know of a good diet for female rats? Either store bought or homemade.
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
187666 tn?1331176945
I buy a rat food mix from the pet store that has all kinds of whole grains, seeds and manufactured pellet things. I also give her fresh veggies, some fruit. She even enjoys greens. There is lab chow but I'm not real fond of that. I toss in a couple just so she has something hard to chew on.
Blank
At college, the best long-lasting food to give them is a loaf of stale, crusty bread.
This gives them carbs, something to chew on and some fun as they make tunnels in a loaf of bread!
But yes, greens and even hay can work well too
Blank
187666 tn?1331176945
The bread may be long lasting but it's far from being proper nutrition. Rats need a better balance of food than that. It's like feeding bread to ducks: they'll eat it, they'll feel full and if they do this long enough, they'll starve to death.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Pocket Pets & Small Animals Community Resources