Pocket Pets & Small Animals Community
Rudie the red nosed Rat is hooked on junk food.

This forum is for questions and support regarding your p ocket pets and other small pets!

Rudie is a snake food rescue, And she is very affectionate. After being given rudie, I had nothing to give her for food.
And pet smart would not open till monday. So I pulled out the hot air popcorn popper, And gave her some
popcorn.I was rather proud of myself, The way she acted you would of thought I was giving her cavier! Being the responsible and lovable rat owner that I am. I did go to pet smart on monday and buy real rat food.
I might as well be trying to give her boiled broccoli! Though the rat food is designed to fit all her needs, She won't touch it. She seems to treat it as part of her cage. She ignores it. Until I break down and throw her more popcorn,
At which point she attacks it as if I have'nt fed her in years! I'm sure she needs hard food for her teeth, And, Well, I don't know about a rats body, But i'm thinking that if I gave my bodie that much fiber.....
I am relatively sure at this point that rat's do pass gas. otherwise she would just be  a red stain on the back of her cage!
Still, I would like to wein Rudie off the popcorn. And onto something that will keep her teeth trim and have a wider health benefit.
                                    Any help you can be would be appreciated.
                     Rudie appreciates it too!..............She's just not aware that she does!

Gig!
It may be a simple case of her not liking the particular brand you bought. I've tried some rat foods that looked "fun" with big chunks of this and that and colorful nuggets. My rats wouldn't touch it. Found out that all my rats and mice seemed pretty content with Kaytee Supreme rat and mouse food. Lots of grains and seeds and some tiny nuggets for their teeth. I still add extras like walnuts in the shell (lightly crack the shell for a starting place), a bit of fresh fruit and veggies (be careful, can cause sticky poops) and the occasional treat (I use animal crackers). I also toss in a couple nuggets of Mazuri rat and mouse food. They're veggie based nuggets, slightly flat looking, not like the perfectly round chow (I've never had a pet that liked those for some reason). We also use the rodent chow at work. It's good for them to gnaw on.

For now try more natural foods like nuts, seeds, steamed broccoli has always been a favorite of my rodents. Sorry she doesn't like the food you bought but do try another brand. See if that helps.
What kind of food are you trying to give her exactly?

There are a lot of "rat foods" that are terrible for rats and some of the time the rats just won't eat it because it's terrible.