Pocket Pets & Small Animals Community
Sick Rabbit

This forum is for questions and support regarding your p ocket pets and other small pets!

Sick Rabbit

This morning when I checked on my rabbit, I noticed she had a severely swollen tongue and hadn't eaten any of her food from the day before.  I figure she hadn't drank anything either because her tongue was too swollen to move.  It also looked like she was drooling down her chin as all the fur was wet and there was a horrible smell.  I took her to the vet, who couldn't figure out the problem either because her teeth looked fine.  The next step she said was to put her under and do a complete dental exam.  I was a little apprehensive about this and chose a more subtle route of taking her home with some pain meds and a soft food feeding kit.  Just a little while ago I tried to get some food into her with a syringe, only to see that she bit her tongue and blood starting flowing like crazy.  I tried my best to control the breathing and calm her down and it looks like it stopped, but now I am extremely concerned that she has not food/water in her. I don't know what else to do... Please help
Feeding an animal with a syringe is tricky business since some of the food may go down into the lungs and cause pneumonia. As for fluids, you could take her back and have the vet do some subQ fluids which would help temporarily but still doesn't solve the problem.

I wish I could think of a reason for the swollen tongue. The first thing that comes to mind is an insect bite or sting or perhaps an allergic reaction to something. The fact that her tongue is so large and in the way just makes it easier for her to accidentally bite it and make things worse. Check with the vet, see if there are any meds safe to treat allergic reactions in bunnies. Don't pick something you would use at home.

And did he check her tongue to see if a string had wrapped around it? I don't know if your bunny has free run of the house at times but a string tangled around a body part can make it swell too.

Just my random thoughts. Hope you get some real answers soon.