Pocket Pets & Small Animals Community
Small bugs burrowing into my dog and cats

This forum is for questions and support regarding your p ocket pets and other small pets!

Small bugs, microscopic, are burrowing into my dog and cat. These bugs do not crawl or move around. I have had pets my whole life and know these are not fleas or ticks. When I try and pull them off, they seem to burrow even further into their skin. Some of them I have not been able to get off. They are even inside my female dogs genitals. They form little red bumps and sometimes white stuff (not puss) will come out of the infected area. I think we have carpet beetles. Has anyone heard of carpet beetles burrowing into animals. Carpet Beetles eat raw hide; is it possible that they also go after skin. I also have places on me where something has burrow into my skin. I am at a lost. My poor little female dog is covered. I am going to take her to my vet tomorrow but they will only treat the symptoms and that won't get to the route of the problem. HELP.
hello,i have the same problem with my dog.and they burrow in my skin too.im thinking its carpet beetles but im not sure.
I've never seen carpet beetles so am not familiar with them. I would guess there's a way to treat the carpet/house to eradicate them.

If the vet notices small parasites on your dog, s/he can and most likely will treat the infestation. There are various parasite meds geared to specific species and the vet will know which to use. Problem of course is once your pet gets home, it's exposed to more little critters. Find out what the vet has to say, identify the bugs and then you'll know what to do next - if your house needs treatment as well. The vet can probably make recommendations about that as well.