Pocket Pets & Small Animals Community
Sticky hamster eye and going bald on the tummy area ?

This forum is for questions and support regarding your p ocket pets and other small pets!

Hi, I have a dark grey, Dwarf Hamster and he is approximately 1 year and a half years old.

When I first got him he was a tiny thing, so I put him in an average hamster cage, but when he got to the full size he was massive !! like a ball of fat !!

whenever he wakes up in the evening, I find his eyes are still shut but start to open in less than 2 minutes and it looks quite sore around the rim of his eye.
I thought this problem would pass as it was the summer time then.

Now I have changed him into a bigger cage, he still has his eye problem but like his whole coat  (not patches of fur) have sort of thinned out and has also gone bald under his jaw down.

What is this ? Are there any treatments/solutions I could do at home without the Vets help ?
do you feed him any fresh veg or fruit? try a bit of apple it can't hurt, I don't think those little guys  have a very long life span may be he is just getting old.
Hi, I feed him a bit of fruit and veg everyday.
yeah I just looked at a few sites online and I remember when I worked at a pet shop we told people they life around 2 year tops same with  the regular sized hamsters. poor little guy he is a senior if he is comfy and well fed, which it sounds like,  there is probably not much more you can do.

I do wonder it you have a dwarf hamster though ...full grown they are a little bigger than a ping pong ball
Hi, Thanks again.

Yeah he does seem slower and older. Not his playful self !