Taking on new rats
Someone I know is no longer able to look after their two year-old does.  I had been considering having rats and am very likely to take them on.

When they are new to me, how much should I handle them?  I want them to get used to me and be happy, but I don't want to stress them.  Are there any points I should remember?

I've had hamsters (still have Peanut) but not rats before.
I adore having my pet rats but I get them when they're young. Never adopted adults before. I have cared for someone's rats while he was on vacation. They were a bit shy the first couple of days but they warmed up to me quite quickly with hand-held treats. I guess it would depend on how much handling they received from their previous owners. Our rats are comfortable being held by anyone that comes to visit. Then again, we let them  out about an hour a day to run in the living room and play. We wrestle and play peek-a-boo with them under a small blanket. Yeah, I know this all sounds weird but it's fun for us all. If we just sit still, they get annoyed and crawl up to our face and lick as if to say - hey, move it! Just take your time with the new pets, watch their reactions. The last thing you want is a rat bite. Ouch!

I just noticed that you said the rats were 2 years old. That's getting old and they've probably slowed down quite a bit. That will help.