Pocket Pets & Small Animals Community
White's Tree Frog Health Declining

This forum is for questions and support regarding your p ocket pets and other small pets!

White's Tree Frog Health Declining

I have a 2-year old White's Tree frog. I think she is a female. I had adopted her about a year ago (I have no frog care experience) and she came to me with a tumor-like bubble by her butt on her back.  This bubble has not changed in size over the year.

Lately (past 3-4 weeks) she has been really lethargic; she has lost a lot of weight and she does not seem to be eating. She sits in her bowl of water 24/7. When she is awake her eyes are beautiful and clear and her skin seems to look healthy, but the skin on her back has developed some light green spots.

Her urine seems to be normal, but instead of cricket-turds, she deficates a white, gooey substance which has an awful oder. I have been giving her calcium/vitamins and supplements, gut loaded crickets, amble lighting, clean water, places to hide and climb, as well as peat moss substrate in a 20-gallon tank.  I have also been giving her a hydration supplement. There is a younger, smaller White's Tree frog in the same tank that seems to be very healthy and active.

What could be wrong with my tree frog?

Thank you.

I wish I could help you but I know nothing about frogs. Is there a university in your area that might have some resources for you? Pet stores sell frogs but I don't know if I'd trust their advice. Of course a vet that specializes in exotics or herpetiles would be the very best. Hope you get an answer soon.
Hi, I just read your post and am wondering if you ever figured out what was wrong with your White's Tree Frog?  My frog Eddie has a similar problem, minus the tumor-like bubble.  He is several years old but was very healthy a couple months ago and now he is wasting away, only leaving what seems to be diarrhea (nothing solid) and has light green spots on his back that get more frequent towards his bottom.  I just cleaned his cage and found that 10 out of the last dozen crickets I put in there died from whatever it is that's making him sick.  I also noticed tiny bugs in the substrate!  I'm thinking it might be mites, but I don't know how to get rid of them and I can't afford $100 to take him to the vet right now (which is stupid because I've probably spent that much on my last 3 trips to Petco trying to fix stuff in his cage to make him happier).  Did your froggie live to tell about her green spots?  Did you take her to the vet?