Pocket Pets & Small Animals Community
Why did my daughters hamster die?

This forum is for questions and support regarding your p ocket pets and other small pets!

Why did my daughters hamster die?

I bought a "teddy bear": hamster for my daughter 3 days ago. We bought it a nice cage and it had a wheel for him to run on (which he did a lot) and a food dish and a water bottle....I was playing with him last night and he seemed very happy and healthy....I have one of those tubes that they crawl up and he did it all the time....he even carried bedding up in it and spent most of his time in it. When my daughter woke up today we went to play with her (ruby is what she named her) and she was at the bottom of her tube in a little ball dead. Why did this happen the sign on the cage at the pet store said "baby hamsters" so I dont think she was very old at all. I was using what the pet store gave me for bedding...it was cedar bedding...someone told me today I shouldnt have used it...Im going to buy another one today and buy new bedding...what kind should I buy? What can I do to keep this one alive....Please answer so I can go buy another one...my 3 yr old lil girl is heatbroken
I feel bad i now how hard its is to see a llittle girl heartbroken. and it's good that you got the hampster all thoughts goodies because they need a lot of excercise. Maybe i can help because i have a dwarf hampster and living for a year now and the bedding i give her is all natural and non-toxic the one i have is called fuzzy buddy it looks like a big cotton ball. and there also night creatures and sometimes they do come out during the day. Tip- ushally when you by a hampster make shure they look health like if there hair is really greasy looking and looks like its sticking to gether ushally means there going to be a sickly hampster that well probably die. And look at all the othere hampsters that are in the same cage with them because if one is sick there all going to catch it. but to keep them healthy just give him fresh food every day and water. I give mine treats every time i finish cleaning him or if he runs out. make sure the cage is always well clean like maybe once or twice a week me i just wait to clean him till the shavings dont look so fluff no more. Give him or her plenty of attention. one other tip no aquierums ex, fish tanks there not recomened because there is no air cerculation and get humid and wet from humid and could suffercate you hampster.
So hopefully you just got a bad hampster that was already sick. so when you get another one he or she will live there full life hopefully this one will live. And heard hampsters can live up to 3 to 4 years but dont go bye that i go by how much and how good you take care of your hampster because my freind had a hampster for ten yrs.
Never use cedar bedding for hampsters.

abby
I use Kaytee Soft Sorbent for my hamsters bedding. It is little balls of paper, naturally scented with rose, lavender, or mint. They don't have a strong smell, and its easy to see wet spots, for spot cleaning between total cage cleans. I don't think it was the bedding that did her in so quickly. While cedar can cause respiratory distress in hamsters it is doubtful it wouldn't have happened over three days. More than likely, there was something wrong with the hamster before it was even brought home. A lot of pet stores don't breed their hamsters responsibly, and you end up with sick, inbred and mean hamsters. I had a situation similar to this happen to me when I was a kid. I got my first hamster, and when I got it home, it jumped 6 inches from my hands to the floor, and died unexplained. I suggest buying from a breeder in your area, or a pet store that offers a guarantee on the health of the pet. The petsmart I bought my dwarf hamsters from, offer a 14 day health guarantee, and if anything should happen to the hamster within this time period (it gets sick, or dies) they will treat or replace it free of charge. Good luck with your next hamster.
We got our hampster from Persmart. He is the best little pet you could ever ask for. He is 17 months old and still going strong. Graying some, but still really fast. He's so sweet natured, no wonder these are the best little pets. Oh, and he's a Teddy Bear hampster.

abby