Pocket Pets & Small Animals Community
Yellow bellied slider...wild and store bought

This forum is for questions and support regarding your p ocket pets and other small pets!

My boyfriend and I have a yellow bellied slider that we bought at a pet store. We went through a BUNCH of care sheets on how to properly care for it and he is thriving beautifully. Recently we found another yellow belly near a pond and we wanted to know if they could live together or if we should release the wild one. We don't want either one to get sick. They seem to be getting along well together but we don't want to put either one at risk. What should we do?
It all depends on where you bought your store bought one. Many stores get theirs from "breeders" that simply pluck turtles from the wild. It is very possible that one or both could harbor parasites from the store or the wild. One of our turtles (red eared sliders) had such a parasite that required medication to clear up.

I would say take them both into the vet for check-ups and fecal exams.