Pocket Pets & Small Animals Community
Young Chipmunk

This forum is for questions and support regarding your p ocket pets and other small pets!

Young Chipmunk

A cat bit a chipmunks tail off at about 6 or 7 weeks old. He's about 13 weels now and healthy acept, the other half of his tail has an upleasent smell and the hair falls out easily when I pull it lightly with my finger tips, and the skin looks very dry.He is very healthy so please no advice about taking to a ve or wild life rescue please!
I'm curious why you're not willing to take it to a vet for treatment other than the fact you may be rehabbing wildlife without a license. And a licensed rehabber would know how to treat what may be a gangrenous tail.

Cat mouths are full of bacteria (they don't brush their teeth ya know). Any cat bite wound to an animal has the potential to become very infected. In the chippies case, his tail has necrotic tissue that may continue to spread up the tail and even go systemic. In that case he may end up dying.

Honestly, without an exam I can't tell you how bad the situation may be. With some antibiotics and proper care it may clear up on its own. If it's very bad, he would need some surgery to remove part of the tail along with meds follow-up.

His life is literally in your hands. I hope you'll make a decision that will help him.
The poor little furry has an infection.  Along with ireneo, I am surprised you didn't take him to a vet or wildlife agent sooner.

The poor thing has a serious infection, if you don't get that chipmunk help soon it will develop an entire body infection...I am not so sure it isn't too late.

As ireneo stated, surgery may be the only way to save the poor baby.  

Both of the cats I live with have had to have surgery on their tails because they both like to try fight with Racoons......oye vey!!!

The infection cannot be treated by home remedy.  If you want to save that Chippy you need to get it to a Vet or at least the local Wildlife agent. (call your local forestry dept.  Should be listed under the county you live in).

All cats have some pretty nasty bacteria that form in their mouth when they feel threatened. It happens as their hair raises.  It is a precaution for defense.  Even when not in the defensive mode they have bacteria in their mouth.

I am actually surprised the cat got the chipmunk.  Chipmunks are more able to hide and are faster runners and rarely roam to a place that is not close to their home.
Remember, this was a very young chippie - eyes open and ears just popped up. No life experience at all. Was probably just learning to explore his surroundings when the cat got him. Every year I end up with several young squirrels and chipmunks that have been brought in by someone's cat. And the damage they do to baby bunnies is horrendous.

We'll never hear the end of this story. Probably another casualty in the world of wildlife.