Pocket Pets & Small Animals Community
bedding

This forum is for questions and support regarding your p ocket pets and other small pets!

bedding

is it ok to use pine shaving for a guinea pig and whats the best type of bedding be specific
I did use pine bedding for my piglets, never used cedar because of the strong oils. It was a trial and error for me as to which brand. I noticed some of them were chipped into smaller pieces and had a lot of wood dust in them. I couldn't stand that while cleaning the cage and I'm sure the piglets didn't like it either. I finally found some that was a bit larger and hardly any dusty stuff at all. Can't remember the brand though since it's been years since I had a guinea pig. And more than a year since I've had a rat or raised mice.
It's been a while since I had guinea pigs, but I raised them for showing.  The best bedding is made from recycled paper.   It is very absorbent and biodegradable.  I used CareFresh pet bedding and still do for my gerbils, but there are several other brands that cost less.  Pine shavings have odors that can cause upper respiratory issues in small animals.  Pine shavings are ok if they don't come in contact with it, like in a wire cage, but I don't recommend it.