Pocket Pets & Small Animals Community
bitting mom
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding your p ocket pets and other small pets!

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

bitting mom

Im new at pet rats,I bred a male to her and she started to bite me before the babies were born. my question is will she really stop? I think she was not realy held much.I also need to know If the female can live together as well as dad and his kids? I have 2 big cages for them all(15) lol. I really enjoy them as pets and would like to keep them all.
Related Discussions
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
187666_tn?1331176945
I've had pet rats but never bred them. And I've raised hundreds of mice. Typically with mice I only have 2 females and 1 male in a cage. There's never been any problem keeping the male in there with his "women." He's even been helpful snuggling with the babies to keep them warm while the females come out to eat and exercise.

Yes, the females are very protective and nippy around time of delivery. And after the babies are born I make no attempt to clean up or touch the babies for the first week. Once the babies go from pinkies to a bit of fuzz on them, the moms let me clean up without getting too upset. Sooner than that and they tend to kill the babies.

Also, I never introduce a new mouse (male or female) when there are babies in the cage. That's a sure recipe for murder.

I would say rats are probably similar in behavior to mice. I only hope that 15 rats in 2 cages doesn't cause any problems. That sounds crowded to me. Even with mice, once the babies were weaned, I took them out and put them in another cage for awhile to keep the parents content. Things got a bit hectic with so many in one spot.
Blank
680313_tn?1249316003
thank you for your input . I guess that would be cramped for that many
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Pocket Pets & Small Animals Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity