Pocket Pets & Small Animals Community
bonded rabbits partner died

This forum is for questions and support regarding your p ocket pets and other small pets!

bonded rabbits partner died

i just got these 2 wonderful rabbits and i only had them for 2 days from there owner and one of the rabbits was sick when i got them i did not know this until i woke up to a horrible sound and when i got ahold of a vet that saw rabbits but when they opend she had already passed...i felt horrible for my other bun bun cause not only was she taken away from her home and put in a new inviroment he lost his partner so after a few weeks of constant attention he still seemed very didstant and closed off i read onling that a gennie pig might help but now he seems even more upset what do i do?
I'm real impressed that you would take the bunny to a vet. That shows a lot of responsibility, and i respect you very much for instinct. Also, i appreciate your partner if he supported this. I'm so sorry you lost an animal. As an animal lover myself i know how hard it is to go through this. I lost my beautiful Australian Sheppard on my birthday last March. I never thought i would ever get another dog, it hurt so much, but we couldn't live without the spirit of the wolf in the house, and found a beautiful border collie mix. I have pictures on my site of them both if you're not busy and you want to take a peak. Anyway have you thought of getting another rabbit? The thing is, they would breed wouldn't they? I don't how whether $ is a consideration, or if you'd like a bunch of bunnies. I would think that brothers and sister bunnies breed? Do you know? If you didn't want any more bunnies , or if it would cost too much to fix them, then getting a guinea pig would be great if your bunny accepts them. Is your bunny a girl or a boy? It sounds like a lot of fun having rabbits, and guinea pigs. All i can suggest is to keep it close to you while your watching tv or whatever, put a blanket on that she can wet or dirty and spend mega amounts of time with her/him until you get a replacement buddy. If you have a heating pad, put it under the blanket and it will think of you as it's mother i would think. Get a replacement buddy as soon as you possibly can, i don't know how sensitive they are but they might feel like dying if they're lonely, i would.

I found this article, it might help you.

So my pet rabbit Blackie has been acting werid. She doesn't want to be picked up or cuddled, but lets you pet her when she is on the floor. she refuses to poop and pee in her liter box. This is very strange because she is 6 years old and has been potty trained forever. I went on vacation and left her with a friend who had a rabbit named Cally. Cally is also a female but is barely 1 years old. I didn't think the 2 rabbits would become friends but o was i wrong. They were friends in 1 day, licking each other and cuddling. I came home a 2 weeks later and took blackie home. Now she even has started grooming a stuff bunny that looks like Cally. (It makes me sad to watch, knowing I took her away from her friend) But she has never touched this bunny before even though it has been in her play pin for a long time. She has been acting like this ever since i got home, but it as been 3 weeks now and i'm getting worried. Is she sick or just protesting to see Cally. Should I get her a friend or take her to the vet? Please help I'm tried of cleaning the cage.

Let me know how it goes with your bunny. What have you named them? I named by male cat Molly because i couldn't tell the sex when they were so young (You'd think i could have figured that out lol). Have fun!
thank you i did get male guine pig but my bun bun who is also male did not want anything to do with the guine pig but i did not want to take him back so i got another guine pig lol cause i did not want him to be lonely so i got a male and femail guine pig the rabbit hops up to there cage and looks at them but when i let them out she dose not want anything to do with them. my bun bun has finally started grooming himself again thats a good sighn but yea he stoped using his potty pan when his bun buddy died. i have tried to retrain him but i gave up it was to heart breaking i did not get to know my bun bun when its partner was around...but he seems more distant at first he would go from room to room as if looking for her...yea buns breed regardless or relation but he is nutured im looking at bun buns but i dont want it to seem like i am replacing her...