Pocket Pets & Small Animals Community
cheap bedding
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding your p ocket pets and other small pets!

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

cheap bedding

what is the cheapest but sutible bedding for a guinea pig
Related Discussions
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
187666_tn?1331176945
Many people use a cage with a wire bottom and a tray underneath to catch the droppings. Guinea pigs will chew on almost anything and having wood chips or other substrate could cause some serious problems if they eat it.
Blank
1283844_tn?1330569667
I used to show guinea pigs.  We kept them in wire cages, but you must have at least a smooth board for them to sleep on and give their feet a rest from being on the wire.  This helped keep their coats cleaner and was easier maintenance with having a large number of guinea pigs.  Wood chips are ok in the drop pans, but never use cedar.  The dust from wood chips can cause respertory problems so use with caution.
The best choice however, is CareFresh recycled paper bedding.  It is biodegradable and ok if they eat it.  You can get it pretty cheap at Walmart or watch for sales at your petstore.
Blank
187666_tn?1331176945
Thanks for the reminder about a resting place for the feet. I did that with my piglets and they were very good about using another corner for potty. They weren't keen on soiling their "bed."

I agree about cedar chips. Pet stores sell them and people buy them thinking they smell so nice. But all those aromatic oils are a problem for small animals.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Pocket Pets & Small Animals Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...