dwarf bunnies and sunlight
hi, i have two dwarf bunnies and i was wondering how important it is for them to get sunlight. i have cats also, so i keep the bunnies locked in a seperat bedroom, but there are no windows. the only windows are in my living room. for a while i use to lock my cats up and let the bunnies go into the living room to get sunlight, but i noticed that even when i let them in the living room they wouldnt go into the direct sunlight. i havent let them out into the living room for awhile now, mostly because it is very hard for me to get them in the carrier to move them. one of my bunnies does not like to be picked up, or petted/touched anywhere but her head, and i was affraid i was causing her alot of stress. i would just like to know if the lack of sunlight will affect the health of my bunnies.
I'm just guessing here: sunlight provides vitamin D which is also important for processing calcium in the body for healthy bones. I would think some sunlight (not filtered through window glass) would be quite good for the bunnies. When I had rabbits, they were in a large cage that I could carry outside for outings. They are very shy animals though so I kept one end covered with a small sheet to provide a hiding place for them.