dwarf rabbit stomach/urine ilssues
I have a gorgeous female dwarf bunny here in miami, fl where there is only one expensive out of the way avian vet that can talk with me about my bunny, wunny!  My concerns are the following: when i pick her up from the floor in the last two weeks i will see a dark orange/ yellow stain of urine which I assume is a leak and not voluntary), she'll sit for upto 30 minutes in her litter box without leaving any stool or urine droppings, her stomach is often bloated (I gave her chewable papaya tablets in her water dish to ease that gas problem), however her appetite for her daily meals (of pellets, romaine lettuce, spinach leaves, avacado, wood branches( from the avacodo tree), raw carrots and rawpecan halves has decreased).Recently I noticed that the pellets I gave her had a few hard corn kernels in them. I only noticed this in the last week, and she doesn't really want to eat her pellets now. I buy her hand-packaged pellets from the same pet store I purchased her from. First I assumed that maybe the store pellets were tainted and I removed the corn kernels probably a little too late.  I am a basketcase behind this whole ordeal. I miss the upbeat, high diva attitude from my little friend who now appears tired, listless, and sickly. And her fur is shedding way too much now and she'll lay for hours in the same spot until I pick her up. I don't want to loose my bunny, baby so could you please e-mail me at ***@****. My boyfriend and I want to enjoy more years of companionship with her for many years to come. Even the people in our neighborhood miss me walking her on her leash and harness at the local park and in our yard.  Please, please care enough to respond quickly. My hands are tied.
Thank you,
Sincerely,
A very worried dwarf bunny owner :(
She should be seen by a vet in case she has a blockage. I don't know about feeding her avocado and branches. For some animals avocado is toxic and it's not a necessary part of her diet anyway. I've never seen a bunny eat nuts before either. Then again, I never thought to feed them to my bunnies. Rodents, on the other hand, love them.
Hay, hay, hay!!! You should be sure your bunny is getting hay as part of her diet. Provide hay all the time.

She may have urine scald, and she'll need to go to a vet if that's the case.

I hope she feels better soon. try adjusting her diet appropriately i the above is the case.
Thank you, thank you so, so much for your insight.  I'm guessing that my baby bunny eats whatever I would give her simply  because she loves me and trusts me, which doesn't make things right for her  overall health. In regards to the avacado diet; I had her in the backyard and she ran over to an underdeveloped avacado (very small in size; about the size of a small egg).  She bit down and has loved them for the past five months and now she throws fits if she doesn't get a huge slice in her routine diet. On the otherhand; her interest in nuts came from her curiosity when I dropped a pecan half on the floor.
However, she has lost the bloating stomach, and lackluster attitude. She appears as funny and delightful as usual.
I actually found out, that she was eating some strange building material in the back of our garage.  She's since done way much better with the papaya tablets and a little children's Benadryl (1/2 capsules) applied in her water dish in two applications.
I appreciate your concern.
I truly appreciate your concern & advice.  I have never given my bunny baby any type of hay (Timothy hay).  But I will do so just incase. What is urine scald?!! Could you be more specific??  I don't have an experienced vet in my neck of the woods. Every vet that I have telephoned doesn't have the necessary knowledge to treat/ cure my bunny baby.  I have read that most vets have to be experienced in exotic animals of that nature in order to treat them without biasness.  But if you have anymore info. then fill free to continue to contact me as soon as possible via the web.
If you have any prior experience (good or bad) with a local Miami Dade county vet that can successfully treat a female dwarf bunny than feel free to notify me with that useful info.  I can also use any lifestyle tips for she and I.  I do want my femal bunny around for many, many years.  And also if you know that a female bunny's life expectancy deals with treating certain femal problems that a male bunny doesn't have.  My female bunny also hasn't been neutered.  Thank you for any useful info. :) :)
Urine scald is when a bunny starts to lose fur around the genital area from dribbling or other UT issues.

Here, let me give you a link that you should probably check out; it's got some good info on diet that could set you on the right path.

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/urinary.html

Otherwise, do you have a local aspca or rescue group near you? Perhaps they know of an exotics vet that can help you out.

I'm glad your bunny is feeling better! nothing is sadder than a droopy eared bunny. :-(
I appreciate the web link and your other expert knowledge.  I'm glad as well that everything for my bunny baby has a turn for the better :b  
Do you by chance have bunnies at home too?  Send me a photo.
No, not at the moment. We had Checkered Giant until four years ago. They get very...very...big. :->

Technically they're bred for meat, but we rescued him from a farm (he was an escapee) that raised Checkered Giants for meat (a common practice).

My wife has had dwarf bunnies in the past as well. They mix very well with cats!

You should post a picture of your bunny. Better yet, send it in to medhelp and the picture can be posted on the pet slideshow!
I had a female dwarf bunny when I was young and wasn't aware of uterine cancer in rabbits so I didnt have her spayed! My bunny lived to be 10 years old but did die from this disease at the vet. Female rabbits have an 85% chance of getting this disease usually happening aroung 4-5 yrs. It is costly to spay. I dont live in a big city and it cost $400 at the only vet around my home that has a good rep with bunnies. Its important to find a very good vet for spaying your bunny they are very sensitive animals, or anything else. In bigger cities Id check with a low cost spay and neuter clinic they sometimes do rabbits but you have to make sure they are very familier with rabbits. Hope this helps.
Good info, horse725. It's definitely something every bunny owner should know!
wonderful insight I will be using A.S.A.P.
I never knew of the MedHelp, animal slideshow. Thanks for the suggestion.
I'll get to that when I can make time.
It's a lot of fun. I've got a few of my cats on there. I don't let them know I've put there pictures up... they may decide they're celebrities and become even more impossible to deal with. :)
AVOCADO IS POISONOUS TO RABBITS
I urge you to immediately remove it from your bunny's diet. It is at the top of a very long list of plants toxic to bunnies including, Agave(leaves),  Almond, Aloe, Amaryllis(bulbs), Andromeda, Anenome, Angel's trumpet, Apple (seeds), Apricot (all parts except fruit), Asian lily, Asparagus fern, Australian nut, Autumn Crocus, AVOCADO, Balsam pear (seeds, outer rind of fruit), Baneberry (berries, roots), Barbados lily, and etc.

Pecans however, are perfectly safe for your bunny.

Also if your bunny is under 6 months of age she should not be given any wet foods such as carrots.

Here are some treats safe for bunnies of any age:
1.dry oatmeal (1 tablespoon)
2.whole grain cereal, cheerios (1 tablespoon)
3.one or two pieces of UN-frosted shredded wheat cereal
4. 1/4 a slice of bread
5. A club or saltine cracker

If your bunny is older than 6 monthes some acceptable treats are:
- 1/8 apple
- 1-2 sections of orange
- 2-3 inches of carrot or celery stalk
- 2-3 inches of banana
- 1-2 florets of broccoli
- A few leaves of lettuce or cabbage
Hay is necessary for a bunny's digestive system.
DUH, quite feeding her ALL that crap! LETTACE IS TOXIC TO A RABBIT...AVOCADO IS POISONOUS TO RABBITS!!!!!

..what is wrong with pellets and an occasional carrot,apple,
celery stalk, banana, broccoli..oats and ALL the timothy hay she can eat! Cheerio, shredded wheat ok too.
I raise  female dwarf bunnies for a living. Female rabbits have an 85% chance of getting this disease usually happening aroung 4-5 yrs. It is costly to spay. It cost over $300...