Pocket Pets & Small Animals Community
hamster with dry skin

This forum is for questions and support regarding your p ocket pets and other small pets!

hamster with dry skin

I have a 1 year old teddy bear hamster andn before his skin was perfectly healthy. Then his skin is getting really dry and flaky, especially on his ears and nose. Does anyone have any idea what this might be or how to resolve it?
Just a thought here - what type of bedding are you using in his cage? It might be a sensitivity or allergy to the bedding. For example - I never use the cedar shavings. Although they smell nice, sometimes all those aromatic oils can irritate the skin of our pets. I have mice and rats and only use pine shavings. I've also seen what appear to be little paper pellets. You could try changing the bedding first. Hmm, now that I think of it, check the type of food you're feeding him too. I suppose small animals could have a reaction to certain foods just like people. Are you using commercially prepared food or just feeding him goodies from home? My rats and mice eat rat food plus small bits of carrot and apple and greens. I don't do much in the way of people food for them.

Is he scratching a lot? Maybe he's picked up some little skin parasites that could be bothering him. You'd have to take him to a vet for a skin scrape test. But try the bedding first.
Yeah, i was using pine bedding which i found out has very harmful oils. I switched to carefresh bedding like 3 weeks ago but his skin seems like it's getting worse! what do i do?